As you know, I love to recycle fabric, clothes, etc wherever possible. I had this old pair of pjs that I have been wearing for years and I just love them. The cotton is so soft but the ties are disintegrating, there’s a food stain on the knee and the fabric is worn through on the waistband. I am determined to save them so I decided to turn them into a summer romper for Edith.
I eventually settled on simplicity 8614 because I like the leg shape. I hate the stupid bow on the back so I won’t be making that.
As I’m making the romper from old pjs, I decided to set myself the challenge of making the whole garment from things that have been lying around in my stash for far too long. So here we go…
I’m making a medium size, to fit a 12 month old. Thankfully using stripes makes finding the grain easy and I can be confident that all the pieces are cut straight. I can get the back easily in the width of the pyjama legs but not the front. It quite gathered so this just means that the front won’t be as gathered as the pattern suggests. There is also not enough width for the front bodice panel to be on the fold, no matter, I’ll add a centre front seam allowance and match my stripes. The neck binding is on the bias and there is also not enough width to have it in one piece so I’ll have to make a join in that as well. I’m pretty please that I’ve used so much of the pyjamas and the waste is minimal. I’ll keep the waistband elastic for something else in the future.
I’ve put the romper together following the instructions. I found some old Broderie Anglaise lace for the neck and some scrappy ends of cotton bias binding for the armholes and the ankle elastic channels. Luckily I also had some small bits of narrow elastic for the ankle elastic channels.
The romper is fastened with a zip. I feel a lapped zip needs a separate post so that I can properly share the techniques involved so I’ve put it in the next post, which I’ll share next weekend.
I hope you enjoyed reading so far.